David Lee Roth mixed Van Halen classics with a unique brand of storytelling at his first full solo concert in 13 years tonight in Las Vegas. Source Ultimate Classic Rock News
Fan-shot video from the show below.
The 65-year-old Roth was energetic, enthusiastic and engaging throughout, understandably skipping most of the acrobatics and dancing of previous tours. Sometimes he also missed notes, cues or occasionally, entire verses - most notably on "California Girls," during which he broke out his now-famous "I forgot the fucking words" apology.
The fifteen song set featured 10 classics from the Van Halen years, 5 songs (largely covers) from his solo albums, and at least a half a dozen extended stories about his life and career.
During these interludes, which found his band backing him with instrumental versions of songs such as Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again)," Roth revealed - among many other things - that the J-Pop group Rampage from Exile Tribe had recently cut a big check to license an upcoming cover version of "Jump." He also explained how eyebrows made dogs more lovable than cats: "Who knows what the fuck they're thinking?"
Al Estrada from the Van Halen tribute band Eruption handled lead guitar duty, alongside rhythm guitarist Frankie Lindri, bassist Ryan Wheeler, keyboardist Danny Wagner and drummer Mike Mussleman.
David Lee Roth-You Really Got Me Las Vegas Fan video
David Lee Roth " California Girls " Live 1/8/2020 House Of Blues Las Vegas
David Lee Roth-unchained-las Vegas-1/08/2020
The singer's last full-length solo concert took place on Nov. 7, 2006. The following September he returned to Van Halen for his first tour with the band in 23 years. With Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang replacing original bassist Michael Anthony, the group embarked on two more tours and released one studio album, 2012's A Different Kind of Truth, over the next decade.
David Lee Roth Set List - January 8, 2019 House of Blues Las Vegas
1. "You Really Got Me" (Kinks cover) - from Van Halen (1978)
2. "Big Train" - from Your Filthy Little Mouth (1994)
3. "Unchained" - from Fair Warning (1981)
4. "Just Like Paradise" - from Skyscraper (1988)
5. "Atomic Punk" - from Van Halen (1978)
6. "Dance the Night Away - from Van Halen II (1979)
7. "Mean Street" - from Fair Warning (1981)
8. "California Girls" - (Beach Boys cover) from Crazy from the Heat (1985)
9. "Tobacco Road" (John D. Loudermilk cover) From Eat 'Em and Smile (1986)
10. "Jamie's Cryin'" - from Van Halen (1978)
11. "Beautiful Girls" - from Van Halen II (1979)
12. "Panama" - from 1984 (1984)
13. "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" - from Van Halen (1978)
14. "Just a Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody" ( Irving Caesar, Leonello Casucci / Roger Graham, Spencer Williams covers) - from Crazy from the Heat (1985)
15. "Jump" - from 1984 (1984)
Sons of Apollo MMXX Album Review - New Metal Releases 2020
Annihilator 'Ballistic, Sadistic' Album Review & Paul Di'anno Hell Over Waltrop Live Review
Hammerfall Oscar Dronjak Interview-Talks New Album Dominion & Tour by Neil Turbin